Outline of Primary Three Curriculum
- Communication (Literacy)
- Mathematics and Numeracy
- World Around Us (History, Geography, Science)
- The Arts (Art, Music, Drama)
- Personal Development and Mutual Understanding (PDMU)
- Physical Development and Movement (PE)
Reading (in school)
- We aim to create independent, keen and enthusiastic readers
- Oxford Reading Tree is the main reading scheme.
- We encourage the children to use a variety of strategies to work out (decode) unfamiliar word, such sounds and letters, pictures smaller words inside bigger words etc.
Reading (at home)
- Always make reading positive and enjoyable.
- Encourage children to use a loud, clear voice.
- Encourage independence
- Discuss stories and ask questions.
In Primary Three children should become independent writers through a variety of writing activities such as missing words, true or false, jumbled sentences, comprehension and creative writing.
We have a big focus on:
- Letter formation
- Capital/lower case letters
- Using lines to guide writing.
Areas – Processes
Shape and Space
- We focus in developing mathematical skills, language and thinking.
- New maths ideas are reinforced by practical work and mental maths.
- We have a big focus on problem-solving and investigation, where children are encouraged to explore different options to a problem.
- We provide a variety of opportunities to develop numeracy outside school, such as an outside shape hunt.
WORLD AROUND US
- World Around Us topics incorporates History, Geography and Science
Our topics are -
-Houses and Homes
-Irish Myths and Legends
- We follow the ‘Alive-O’ Programme
- There is a big focus on themselves and others around them, how they are responsible for their own actions.
- P3 children will make their First Confession this year.
- Important dates
-First Confession Assembly – Tuesday 10th March, 6.30pm
-First Confession – Tuesday 31st March, 1.00pm
- Children will express their feelings and develop self-awareness.
- We will discuss health and safety issues.
- The programme will explore relationships within their family, school and community.
- PDMU lessons are achieved through ‘circle time’ activities.
- P3a P.E day is on Tuesday.
- P3b P.E day is on Wednesday
- Children should wear their P.E gear on this day.
- Both Primary 3 classes are timetabled to attend the computer suite twice a week. Primary three children will complete a number of ICT tasks such as making a PowerPoint and creating an invitation.
- Music and drama will be completed through the Alive-O programme and World Around Us topics.
- Art and design will be linked to celebrations in our calendar year and connected to our World Around Us Topic.
- Primary 3 homework will reflect learning in school.
- Please encourage independence; your child should be able to complete most homeworks independently.
- Homework will go home on a Monday and should be returned to school on a Friday.
- Spelling and reading should be done every night.